Sunday, September 11, 2011

Aaron's Staff Becomes A Snake ~ Edodus 7:8-13

Scripture Reference
Exodus 7:8-13
Aaron's Staff Becomes A Snake

Activity
We're going to make "Funnel Snakes" today!  I'm using a recipe for funnel cake that I found over at momswhothink.com  I'll be deviating just a little by making the batter into "snake" shapes rather than into the traditional drizzly funnel cake pattern.


How It Went
We had lots of things accidentally turn into snake activities today.  Randy played play-dough with Andrew this morning; he doesn't have much artistic ability with play-dough, so they ended up making snakes.  (I suspect that his "lack of ability" stems from the fact that I hate snakes and he gets a kick out of teasing me with play-dough snakes...*sigh* J)

Randy wanted to take pancakes to work with him, so I whipped up a batch of them.  I had a little extra batter and thought I might be able to skip the funnel cake snakes if I were able to make pancakes into the shape of snakes.  I scooped some batter into an icing squeezer and tried to "draw" a snake in the skillet with the batter.  BIG failure!  Kiera could tell what it was supposed to be, but I think that was only because I'd already told her what I was trying to make!

So, we ended up making funnel cake snakes after all.  This recipe was a success; both kids thought it was great!  Andrew came to the table saying, "worms!", but he didn't argue when I corrected him.  We read the Bible story after making our snakes, so he didn't really have a reason to know what they were supposed to be.  I was just happy that he could identify their general look after my pancake disaster...J

Scripture Reference
Exodus 7:8-13
"The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 'When Pharaoh says to you, 'Perform a miracle, then say to Aaron, 'Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh', and it will become a snake.'
So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the Lord commanded.  Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake.  Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts.  Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake.  But Aaron's staff swallowed up their staffs.  Yet Pharaoh's heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the Lord has said."

No comments:

Post a Comment